Saturday, June 30, 2012

QM2 sails to NYC

QM2 sailed into the NY harbor around 5 in the morning.  The whole trip I kept saying I wanted to see the ship pass the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.  Craig was like "no, no, no that's too early"  
Well guess who got to see the bridge and who didn't :(.

The Capt said we'd sail under her around 4:30. So I set up alarm and kept waking up all night to I wouldn't miss it. And then a fog set in so the fog horn was sounding off every few minutes. I woke up at 1:30, 2ish, sometime around 3:15 - then 3:55 and I was like "oh almost time!" Next thing I knew it was 4:50 :( :(  I missed it!!

Well Craig was waking up too, because of the fog horn.  When I woke up around 4:50 Craig decided to go up and see if her name was lit up (they only light up her name in ports) and he wanted to get pics. So up he went.  I was tired from waking up so much I went back to bed. . . little did I know that the fog slowed the ship down more than the Captain expected.

Craig got up there and got this shot.
 Then he turned around and there the bridge came out of now where!

There she goes!

There is only a 3 meter clearance between the funnel and the bridge! That's about how tall Craig is - it's so close!

US Coast Gaurd

NY sky line covered in fog

Flying her colors

Lady Liberty

Our last view of the ship!
So long old girl.
Hope we get to see you again soon!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

This looks like so much fun! This is definitely on my list of things to do one day!
Thanks for sharing (would love to know the sites/books you read with the history).